Publishers are a key asset when it’s time to take your manuscript into a book and release it to your audience. But having a traditional publishing contract comes with many strings attached. While an advance on your royalties looks great, you often lose your control over creative decisions, and you end up with a royalty split that most often favors the publisher. As a result, authors have sought to regain their control by self-publishing. But even then, there are profit-shares and issues around your rights. As an author, you want to be able to control your own publishing destiny while generating extra income. One great way to do this is to have your own publishing imprint!
What is an imprint?
An imprint is a trade name that identifies a line of books within a publishing company. For example, Golden Books is an imprint within Random House. As an author, having your own imprint gives you the ability to publish your own books, retain complete control of your royalties, and enjoy the freedom to do what you love—writing—all with the benefit of an expert publishing team behind you every step of the way! You can learn how to create your own imprint in this step-by-step guide. The best part? You can do it yourself, or you can hire AuthorSource to set up your imprint for you if you’d like some help along the way.
Benefits of having your own imprint:
- Keep 100 percent of sales royalties
- Receive direct deposits every month with no middle man
- Control your own publishing account
- Own your copyright
- Order books at the wholesale print cost and resell them in any of your locations
- Retain creative control and direction of your books and branding
- Stand out in the crowded publishing space with a professional imprint—giving you greater credibility, authority, and more revenue-generating opportunities.
- Invite others to publish under your imprint
How do I benefit monetarily?
- You receive 100% of your royalties from bookstore sales direct deposited.
- You receive 100% of the profits when you print and sell your own book.
- You can produce your own books at a lower cost through AuthorSource.
- You can charge an imprint handling fee for authors under your imprint.
- You can split royalties with authors under your imprint.
Feeling ready to dive in?Great! Here’s how you create your own imprint.
And you can get started right here!